Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Should I be paying attention?

So, there has been a reoccurring message resonating from various places the last couple of weeks, and I am wondering if I should be paying attention. I had better start with a little history, but I will try not to be long winded. As far back as I can remember, I have had trouble with self-esteem.  Yes, a common problem with girls, me included. It was only made worse by my tendency to be "myself" as a kid, and then compounded by my parents divorce in my preteen years. Basically, I just couldn't believe that I was good enough, or that anyone could love the real me for who I was, even a God I believed was all loving.
For years I struggled with my relationship with God, I do now, but I could never understand why I didn't feel the way others seemed to feel about this wonderful Father we had. I believed in Him, I knew how good He was, and that He loved us, and made the ultimate sacrifice of sending His son, so why was I struggling? The answer, which I discovered through a lot of heartache and tears, was that as much as I believed in this awesome God, I couldn't bring myself to believe that I was loveable or enough just as I was for Him to accept me.
Fast forward to me becoming a wife and then a mother, two roles where I need to know that I am loved for me as well, and I am right back where I was so many years ago.
So, what does this have to do with the reoccurring message I keep getting?
Well, this past weekend I was at an event, and the speaker talked about our worth and what God says in His Word about who we really are to Him. As she was quoting scripture, I found myself wondering why I had never heard many of them, or if I just hadn't been listening. I can't remember which scripture it was, and I really wish I could, but at one point she said something to the effect of God loving us as we are right now, not for the hats we wear or the roles we play, but just for who we are.  She said he delights in us, and the word delights struck a cord. I know what delighting in someone is, I have four children, and I find myself feeling delighted quite often by them.
Then  today I was thinking about the fall colors and the sheer amount of thought that God had to put into just the trees to get such a magnificent display for our enjoyment. He didn't have to do that for productivity or because it was necessary. I really think the colors of fall are just His way of taking sheer pleasure from His creation. And if God put that amount of effort into the trees, and takes such pleasure from them, why wouldn't we be even more treasured and loved?
I was listening to Focus on the Family in the car this afternoon on the way to pick up the boys from school, and one thing the speaker said really got to me. She was talking about parenting and listening to our kids, and she said that until she realized her worth with God, she was unable to teach her children how to truly be in love with Jesus. I was struck by the thought that this was where I was struggling. I mean, how am I going to parent these kids and really show them that God loves them unconditionally when I don't really believe that about myself.
You're probably wondering why this was such a big deal for me, and I had to stop and think about it. I thought I had accepted that God loved me, and that I was enough, but I hadn't and haven't. Apparently God is fully aware of that fact too because He is making it quite clear that I need to pay attention. I am not quite sure how this is going to change, but I know the thankfulness postings are making me stop and think about the wonder around us, and I know I am going to be looking up some more verses about how God feels about us. Maybe I CAN be the example for my kids. I want them to have an awesome relationship with God and want to follow after Him with everything they are, and I want to be the parent they deserve.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are blogging!!!!! Make me proud! One you get going a little I can cross-promote you!

    ReplyDelete